Hosting a barbecue or afternoon tea at your home is a great way to get to know the neighbours. But there are a few things to think about before you fire up the barbie.
- Pick a date and time and make sure you give people plenty of notice.
- It might be an informal occasion, but dropping formal invitation cards in letterboxes in your street is a good idea to ensure everyone has the information they need, including a contact phone number.
- Be clear about any requirements – do you want people to bring something to share or supply their own? Are you providing drinks? Remember the the Town of Port Hedland Friendly Neighbourhood Grant can help you fund these items.
- Be as inclusive as you can – make sure everyone on the street is invited.
- Host your event in a space easily visible from the street – on the driveway or front lawn – to encourage people to feel comfortable about dropping in without feeling like they are intruding in your home. Just remember road safety!
- Relax and enjoy the chance to make new friends close to home.